Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Kiln Mishap on Sunday

On Sunday I worked on making beads for this months bead challenge. I was about two hours into the process when I happened to look at the kiln temperature and about had a cow. I forgot mom did a Boro firing a few weeks ago, for a commissioned piece, and that the temp was not set for morretti. I had mom come out and reset the kiln and then crossed my fingers that the beads were alright.
Monday I found out the extent of the disaster. Most of the spacer beads had flat bottoms, a big focal was cracked down the middle and the second focal the colors came out all wrong. Though the spacer beads I made with my new frit turned out just fine and the rings I made actually came off the mandrels pretty easily and all of them were in one piece.
The upside of this is that I thought of a different design for the focal bead and I will try making that up on Saturday and hopefully I can have the necklace put together on Sunday and get photos taken and posted.
Lesson learned: Always check the temp of the kiln setting!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, I never like to see "Kiln" and "Mishap" in the same sentence!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...