Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fingerless Gloves Pattern Fit (Update)

LaimaShop
I have been on a Fingerless Gloves kick lately.  I have been all over Etsy looking at gloves and trying to decide on a pair I want to purchase.  There are just so many different options and wonderful shops out on Etsy that it is so hard to decide.
AFRA
Love & Knit

Denizgunes Knitting
Then I thought, "You know how to knit baby hats, chemo caps (baby hats and chemo caps mom and I donate) and scarfs; how much harder would it be to get a pattern and knit a pair of fingerless gloves (once I learn how to knit them I want to start making those up to donate with the chemo caps)." Well, for me, pretty hard.  I don't read instructions very well and I so don't read patterns at all.  I thought I found a pattern that was easy enough for me to figure out but I had to ask my boss if she could help me with part of the pattern.

She was most helpful and I got the hand portion done last night, not perfect, but it is done.  I started to work on the thumb part and all hell broke lose!!!! 
I know I messed up here when I put the stitches for the thumb on the holder.  I sort of improvised when I had to cast on 2 extra stitches to start knitting to the end.  I couldn't figure out how to cast on, so I just add two more stitches.  So, there is a long piece of yarn near the opening but hey it is my first glove.
This is where I am stuck now, making the thumb.  I have removed the stitches from the holder and put them on the double pointed needles and now I am suppose to knit 4 stitches along cast on edge, knit 14 and then I will have 18 stitches.  Yeah Right!  WHAT!!!  Okay, I know take a deep breath and Google a video or something.  I can do this, I will not be defeated by a knit pattern!

I will keep you posted on the fingerless gloves knitting.  I do have to say I had a lot of fun knitting the hand portion last night.  I forgot how much I like knitting in the round with double pointed needles.  I have only been working with two needles the last few months on several knitting projects, so it was nice to do something else for a change.  Plus I love the yarn I am working with on the gloves.  It is so pretty and soft.

So, are you working on something that is challenging you this week?  Something new or something you have put off and want to learn how to do?  Tell, I would love to hear what has you challenged this week.

Update to Glove Pattern Fit:
My boss is the bomb.  She helped me finish the thumb.  It is messy, but it is done.  Yippeee.  I think I can do this on my own now.
Fingerless gloves here I come.

5 comments:

  1. Hehe, I'm sorry all hell broke loose when you got to the thumb. And even though I have no idea what the difference is between double pointed needles vs regular ones or stitches vs. casting, I enjoyed reading this post and seeing what you are up to :) That yarn is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lordy you are ahead of me. I LOVE those little crochet flowers like almost bordering on stalkerish love.I bought a bunch from a lovely Etsy seller.I cannot crochet . There I've said it...I gave birth 4 times , had twins, taught myself how to drive stick and the best I can do is knit a straight line for a scarf - at least you've actually gotten a shape!You are way ahead of me if that makes you feel any better! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you for making your own pair -- they came out beautifully! And that first pic up top might just help me get my knitting mojo back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I will have to sit with you sometime! I love fingerless gloves but haven't attempted to make them yet. They would be so great while I am in the basement replying to comments! LOL
    Great work!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fingerless gloves. For my first pair, I took and old pair that I liked and cut off the finger tips...I didn't realize how warm they could be. The pair you are knitting are so cute...love the colors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...