Sunday, June 30, 2019

Art Elements Monthly Theme - Selkies


Mom and I started planning this piece from the beginning (though I almost forgot to sign up for the monthly theme challenge). You can learn more about the Selkies theme here on the Art Elements blog.

I actually was smart and (finally) started an idea board on Pinterest for Art Elements themes. I did a little reading - this link has some good information. The only issue was mom and I agreeing on the image idea and then mom coming up with a pattern for our piece.


This is the only photo I have that mom took after she sawed out the pendant. I didn't get an photos of mom sawing, filing or sanding.

I use a dental pick to get the enamel out of the holes.


This is the process of me enameling the pendant in the kiln. I always start with the back of the pendant first and then finish off enameling the front. This time I actually like the back of the pendant more than I liked the front of the pendant (you will see shortly). So, depending on what side you like; you can flip the necklace (two for one - score!).


The necklace was actually re-strung twice (my name was mud with mom). The first layout I really didn't like - too much brown. I told mom if she laid out the beads the second time I would re-string it, but she had it done by the time I got home from work. Mom said you better like it or you are figuring out what you want in the necklace. Thank goodness I like the new layout!

This is the backside of the pendant - but I really love how the colors turned out.


Here is the Selkie necklace with beads.


The lampwork beads are ones I made a few months ago and just have been sitting in the storage bin. I like how they worked really well with this piece!



Now to the flip side - the front side of the pendant.


The front side ended up being too dark for me. I still like the way it turned out, but I really like the backside of the pendant.




So, that is our piece for this month's Art Elements Theme - Selkies. I hope you take the time to see what everyone else created because I sure am.

Here is the list:

Guests: 

AE team: 

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I really enjoy seeing how your metal pieces come to 'life'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pendant and the finished necklace turned out wonderful! I love both sides of the pendant and would have difficulties to decide on one. The back side looks more figuratively with the skin color while the front is striking with the darker colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your pendant is great either way round so you've got yourself two for the price of one! Thanks for joining in the chalenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the choice of beads! I love everything about this pendant, you both excelled again :) .. Alysen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your enamel selkie is just beautiful. I love the colors you used on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's beautiful! I love how the design comes to life with the enamel... the finished piece is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful necklace and I love that it can be worn reversed because the back side of the pendant is finished as nicely as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an amazing detailed piece and I love the bead layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to you both for joining us! Sorry I am so late to hop.

    I love that seal face - so evocative, yet such small scale. The composition is perfect, really expresses ocean and movement. I do like the front better. The darker overall makes the seal what I notice first - so that seems to emphasize the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry it has taken me so long to comment. I attempted via my ipad but it just wouldn't let me. I am finally able to sit at the computer and am catching up.
    I just adore the collaborations between you and your mom. This selkie piece is just fabulous! The colors and the bead choices are perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...