Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ceramics - 28th February

I worked on throwing cylinders on the wheel. I spent over three hours working on that, and mom took pictures of the process. I think I almost have the throwing process down. I now just have to work on making sure the clay is not off center and work on bringing the sides up taller. Right now the cylinders I have made are only 4-5.5 inches high and the cylinders have to be at least 6 inches tall.

Sometimes it is so frustrating making the cylinders. But at least Siggy sees that I am practicing and trying to get them made. I know mom says I am too critical about what they look like; but you know me, I am a perfectionist. I think I am close to 30 hours of practice. I have lost count of how many cylinders I have had to throw away because I ruined them while on the wheel, they were crooked, or the lip was over center.

You will be able to see the process of making the cylinders from the pictures mom took. You can see how much fun I am having getting dirty J The front of that black smock I am wearing is covered in dry clay. It is like being a kid again and playing in the mud puddle.

I do plan on taking vacation during spring break, and working in the ceramics studio in the morning. I am hoping to work in the metals studio in the afternoon. I want to try and make up some more pendants for the jewelry sale in April. Mom and I also ordered wire jewelry making books. I would like to learn how to make some of the bracelets and necklaces that are in the books. Mom wants to try the chain mail. The hope is one day to have our items completely handmade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...