Saturday, January 26, 2013

Focus on Life Week 4 - Create Art

This week's Focus on Life pic is "Create Art".  Sally said to create art and that there is no wrong way to be creative.  To immerse ourselves in what we already love to make and to give ourselves a little push to try something new and to share that.


Patterns to be glued on copper and finished enameled pieces
Mom and I usually don't do any sawing, lampworking or enameling during the week.  For me it is laziness - when I get off work I go home and feed the cats.  Once I am home I usually don't want to change my clothes, hop back in the car and drive back over to mom's - like I said laziness.  Though the previous three weeks, I was just going to mom's and then heading back to my house late (poor cats were swarming when I got home to feed them). I think I will get back into that routine again.


These are pieces that need to be sawed out this weekend.  I plan on helping mom because it is waaaaaay to cold out in the garge to torch or enamel.  Last Monday, when I was cleaning up the backsides of completed enameled pieces, I had to open the garage door a crack (I think the exhaust fan was frozen) to let the fumes out so I wouldn't kill myself.  Those were the coldest 10 minutes out there!  Though I heard it is supposed to get back into the 50's this week, so I might go out into the garage to torch some.


I did knit some this week - this is a pattern for fingerless gloves.  I have the glove to where I now need to do the thumb section but I can't remember how (I suck at reading patterns).  I am going to take the glove into work and see if a friend can help me remember how to knit this part.  The yarn I am using is our favorite yarn - so nice and soft!



I am also experimenting this weekend.  Mom and I have tons and tons of pictures we have taken and I want to do something with them.  I have watched and read so many tutorials on making pendants with images that I want to give this a try.  I need to Mod Podge the pictures and then I plan on using  glass tiles to glue the images to.  I will keep you posted on how this turns out.


This is something I need to finish, right now sitting in my drawer at home.  This was mom's birthday gift four years ago and it is still not done.  I am trying to find my drawing pencils to finish it and get it framed for her.  As you all know I HATE TO DRAW!!!  But lately I have been wanting to try it again, Jen Judd has been inspiring me to try with all the drawing and painting she has been doing.  Though I want to give Zentangles a try.  Drawing intimidates me and I feel like I don't have the imagination to do it.  I NEED an image in front of me to draw something (like mom and grandma's picture).  I can't just pull something out of the air - I don't feel like I am creative enough to do that.  I feel restrictive - my chest starts to get tight and panic sets in.  I am hoping with the Zentangles I can let myself go.  I will keep you posted on how that goes and if I can actually get myself to give it a try.

Please check out the rest of the wonderful people who are participating in Focus on Life at The Studio Sublime.

19 comments:

  1. Wowzers, Beth. You've had a busy week! I am looking forward to seeing those fingerless gloves finished. I've recently picked up crotchet again because Scarves!, but I've never gotten on board with knitting. Too many irons in the fire already.

    That drawing is excellent, my friend. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you have so many interesting projects on the go! I've been wanting to try those pendants with Mod Podge too - I hope they turn out well!

    (I'm #41 this week)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You CAN draw - the ability is there, you just need to allow it to come out and play. I adore the drawing and hope you are able to finish your idea. What a treasure that will be! Looking forward to see how the tiles go too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many talents and you certainly can draw. Your mother is going to love that drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you mean, you can't draw?? That drawing is fantastic! This is now the 3rd or 4th mention of Zentangles in this hop and I am itching to try it! It is supposed to hit 60 degrees here in Northern Virginia on Wednesday, only to get cold again. Hope you find some warmth in your world soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW I don't know why you say you can't draw? You are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many things keeping you busy!

    It's interesting how much anxiety putting pencil to paper to draw a picture can cause us adults. Especially when compared to our kid selves. I think it's because we want what ever it is we're working on to be picture perfect, and we forget to allow ourselves to play with the medium. So here's hoping you can find the child's sense of play and wonder in drawing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how many times you used the word lazy at the start and then look at all this wonderfulness you had to share. Um, nope, clearly not. You should listen to those ladies up there you really can draw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have certainly had a busy wek for someone who is "lazy"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great projects you have in the works. I never learned how to sew, knit or crochet, but I did have a knack for drawing. I haven't done it for years though. And by the way, your sketch is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many lovely projects. I especially enjoy your photos for the pendants. But the best IS your drawing! Incredible likeness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Beth,
    Enameling, glass bead making, knitting, and drawing (which by the way the pencil drawing is beautiful)you are a woman of many talents.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sketch of the photo is really fantastic! You can draw better than you think you can. I did zentangles for the first time this week and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You are so multi talented. The gloves intrigued me the most. I can't wait to see what they look like when they are finished. That yarn looks heavenly. Your drawing is beautiful. When (or if :) ) you finish, your mom will love it.

    I am now off to research zentangles. I keep hearing about them. Be sure to post yours if you decide to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your drawing is wonderful. I'm sure your Mom will love it whenever you get it done. Thanx for sharing it with us. You are a lady of many talents.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've tried so many things this week, lovely bits and pieces of art and of yourself. Love the finger-less gloves, I hope you find someone to show you how to finish them :)

    Your drawing is beautiful, I love it! I understand very well what you're saying about the panic, though - I am quite sure the Zentangles will 'free' you! Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, how did you ever find time to do all of this?! Your drawing is amazing, by the way,...just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zentangling is the best! I discovered it on Pinterest - I was drawn to the black and white drama it exudes, and then read up and discovered it was "doodling". I can't draw, but I can doodle! I try to do it every weekend. I have a board FULL of patterns (and detailed instructions) for different tangles, if you want to have something to copy! You just pick a few you like, and take off! It's fun!
    http://pinterest.com/sweetfreedompin/doodle-tuts/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beth, you are not being lazy. YOU ARE OVERWHELMING YOURSELF! I think you need to step back with a piece of paper and pencil and Zentangle til your hearts content! I am glad you didn't kill yourself with the fumes, we like having you around :) It has been sooooo bitter cold (I live in NEPA) the temps here have been 5degrees! 5 degrees WTH!!
    I hope you get a chance to finish your drawing, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...