Friday, January 4, 2013

Focus on Life - Week One Photo

Sally, The Studio Sublime, is hosting 52 weeks of photos.  She sends the group an email of that week's photo and you take the photo and post on Saturday's.  You can post to your blog, Instagram, Flickr and so on.  I thought it would be fun to participate and I signed up.

Our first week photo was "Self Portrait".  I was thinking to myself, "OMG I HATE MY PICTURE TAKEN!".  Just ask my family; my uncle gets mad at me because I won't let him take my picture.  I have always hated my picture taken and it has just gotten worse as I got older.

But then I thought to myself, PHOTOSHOP :)  Thank goodness for photoshop I can I hide my double chin :)  Seriously though I thought this would be good because we live in a society that places to much store on how a person looks.  I am one of the hardest people on myself and how I look.  This would be a good thing, to find something I like about myself in this weeks photo of Self-Portraits.
I took more than just one photo - so bear with me as we go on this journey.


I took this picture a few months ago, after I downloaded the app Camera360 (nice touchups).  I love this picture of myself, in front of my favorite thing the enameling kiln.  I also love this picture because of the red hair.  For almost 20 years I colored my hair blonde (original hair color dark brown that turned dark dark red in the summertime).  I just think of my grandma and how she would have a smile on her face to see me with red hair (grandma, my aunts and my great-grandma were red heads).  Plus you can't see the double chin in this photo :)  I also love the color of the frames on my glasses - something fun and funky.


This is me working in front of the computer.  Mom says I look way intense right now.  I think I was working on a blog post or something with Etsy (it has been almost a week and I have slept since then).  What I love about this photo is my hair.  I have been letting it grow back out for the last year and I love how it looks when I curl it.  Plus I feel more girly with longer hair, though it is a pain in the hiney to take care of and to color (as you can see some gray at the bangs - color hair next weekend after I get paid).


This is my second favorite spot - my comfy couch at home petting my kitties or reading.  Right now I am petting my youngest cat Reville.  Not to bad of a photo except I am not smiling.  Trying to take your picture with your phone (huge phone), pet cat and push button on phone is really quite interesting.  I had just taken a shower and the hair is all over the place but I like this photo because I am comfortable and in a happy place right then (even with the frown on my face). 
This was a picture I took Thursday night on my comfy couch all curled up in front of my favorite wall of my house.  It is my "Memorial Wall".  The Bronze Star and Flag are my Grandpa Lee's, you can see three of my plaques, my Vietnam Memorial Wall picture and above it is a picture of "Women in the Military" postage stamp photo mom got me for a Christmas gift one year.  I love this picture because it is of me with no makeup, my hair a mess, in pj's, under the covers in front of something I see every day to remind me of my time, my grandpa's time in the military.  These are good memories for me.  It also reminds me of how I use to look out in the field, like crap :)  My hair a mess and under a doo rag, no makeup and not caring one freaking bit!!!

I have to thank Sally for a wonderful first week photo.  It made me think of myself and that having your photo taken isn't that bad (and the phone/camera not breaking).

If you would like to see the other's head on over to The Studio Sublime and check out everyone else's photos.  If you are on Instagram look for the #tag, #focus1photoaweek.  

28 comments:

  1. Great job ... considering you don't like to be in front of the camera! A walk through the things in life that make you happy - bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how each of your photos tells a different story. Like you, I hate getting my picture taken. I love your first photo--you have such a pretty face--and your last photo because you seem so comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post seeing you in your favorite places! You have a beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you got some good ones, i like the one when you are watching the computer..you have pretty hair!
    jenni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beth - glad you got your pictures in your post! :) These are great shots! I agree - self portraits are so hard to take! My favorite is the second one - when you are deep in thought! Nice job, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I became a red head sometime in my late 40's.. Think I like picture number 2 the best. Getting a natural pose while the camera is conting down is always a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the journey your beautiful self portraits take us through! Even though I love the photos you take of such wonderful things in I heart Macro, you look so beautiful in front of the camera too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see a lovely lady! I love seeing you doing the things that make you happy. And despite not liking to have your photo taken, you still managed to find things that you liked about each photo. I need to remember that lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great series! Every one of them reflecting a thoughtful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too like the second one as the light from the computer screen is highlighting your face and eyes,and I like the way your hair drapes naturally, great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are beautiful and I LOVE your red hair! I agree with the whole "having my picture taken" thing. I like how each picture is a facet of you. I am looking forward to this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always make me smile when I visit you blog. I love that you and your mom work together. Love your photo journey though this first assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are cracking me up w/the double chin thing!! My sis and I make people take pics of us by holding the camera up high over our heads (isn't hard, neither of us over 5 feet tall!) and shooting downwards so they can't see our 'chins'. Glad to know we're not the only ones who think of such things (silly as they may be - according to my hubby!) Love your shots and your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos of a real person - nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pics. Shows a different you in each. I am looking forward to this year of pics, should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the different shots and the mood each portrays. Beautiful pictures, and I love your red hair!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful to see pictures of you living your life, so great to put faces with names.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Beth.
    It is so nice to meet you, even if it is only through the photos. I like all the different sides to you in the photos.
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for next Saturday.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your self portraits, but what's most important is the stories that go along with them! Love seeing these bits and pieces in word, and face :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pictures! My favorite is the one of you in front of your "Memorial Wall." I love the streak of light coming from an unseen window. Thank you for your service!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed seeing your different pics and your comments about them and getting to know you better. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the stories behind your self-portraits. A really great idea to include those and gives the photos a lot of meaning and lets us get to know you. And it's so nice to see the lovely face behind the gorgeous enameling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all the beautiful shots and all the beauty you detailed. I know I will live to regret wishing this but I always wanted glasses growing up for the chance at great frames. To this day I must have some fascination with the since I've complimentedpeopleon new glasses and more than once they've said "thank you! You are the first to notice!" love the flash of blue with your red hair

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are such a cutie! My stomach lurched when I got this assignment, but now I'm really enjoying getting to put faces to blogs I've been following for a while an you are no exception. YAY for our bravery at putting ourselves in front of the lens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. A great series of photos and is so nice to see everyone's face. This will be a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh i think we all would rather be at the dentist but you did a great job! Happy New Year Beth! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know what you mean about pictures. I hats having mine taken though I have gotten better at getting some for FB.

    In your case you have nothing to worry about. You are lovely through and through

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...