Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March Monthly Challenge


Almond Blossoms
Vincent van Gogh Stitching
Oil on Canvas, 73.5 x 92 cm
Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam

The painting Almond Blossoms is this month's monthly challenge located on the blog Art Bead Scene. Isn't the painting an awesome choice for March? The minute I saw it I knew what I wanted to do (which is surprising because it usually takes me a long time to figure out designs).

I love to make tree beads though I don't make them very often. I usually only make pendants out of the beads and the last time I made a tree bead necklace was for a metals project. The project was based on "Scarcity". I made a necklace that showed a tree that was part alive and part dead. I used my lampwork beads, enameled pendants, and wire work (which I usually don't like to do) to make the necklace. The necklace actually won Honorable Mention, in metals, at our Undergrad exhibit a few years ago.


I think I will base this months monthly challenge on this, but I may just do the bead in branches with white dots to denote the almond blossoms. I may also just make up some accent beads for the rest of the necklace. Who knows, my design may drastically change from now until the end of the month. I am quirky like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...