Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February ABS Challenge Piece - PeaTalk

The Conference of the Birds by Habiballah
Page from a manuscript of the Mantiq al-Tayr (The Language of the Birds) of Farid al-Din `Attar
ca. 1600; Safavid Iran (Isfahan)
Opaque watercolor, ink, silver, gold on paper
10 x 4 1/2 in. (25.4 x 11.4 cm)
This month's challenge I really didn't think we would finish because of the month of sickness and injury - again.  Mom and I have our fingers crossed that March will be a whole better month since it is our birthday month.

Mom and I both came up with ideas: mom had a whole bib pendant with the different birds and water running through it.  I really focused on the peacock and the colors found in the bird.  So, I convinced mom to saw out a peacock and I made beads based on the colors of the painting.

Here it is, PeaTalk:


 The assembled necklace.  We found a peacock pattern that we both liked.  Mom put the pattern on the copper and sawed it out.  Once it was filed and sanded I enameled the peacock with the colors of black and three different greens.  I also made the lampwork beads, though the beads I made first and the enameling came after.  I actually got the colors pretty close.  The accent beads are Sterling Silver spacers and Hematite beads with a gunmetal toggle clasp.


A close up of the pendant.  Doesn't mom do an awesome job sawing!!!  I am always grateful she loves to saw!!!!


Close up of the lampwork beads.


Another image of the full necklace.

So, that is it for our Feburary ABS Challenge piece.  If you would like to see what everyone else created you should head on over to the Flickr site for the challenge pieces.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Beth you and your Mom did an awesome job on this necklace it is so beautiful. I love how the colors in the lamp work beads match the enameled colors on the bird.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! You two are such an amazing team! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^^what Skye said. You two produce incredible work. Well done! (and best wishes for a happy and healthy March 2012!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...