Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Thunderstorms, Short Story and Eye Candy


This morning was awesome. I woke to hear thunder and then as I was driving to work there were lightning going off all over the place. I LOVE IT! If I had a high shutter speed camera I would have been pulled off to the side of the road trying to get photos of the lightning. When I was younger, my best friend and I use to stand outside to watch the lightning. One time, when I was stationed in San Antonio, there was a gorgeous lightning storm going on and of course we were outside, in the parking lot, watching it. My roommate came running outside and yelling at us to get inside now. It was AWESOME! If you have been able to tell yet, I love thunderstorms!

After I made my post about being out of the Army for nine years, some of my blogging buddies said they would love to hear stories about my time in the Army. I have been thinking about this and what stories I could tell that wouldn't bore you to death. Last night I was thinking about basic training and I thought of this story.

You think of the Army as being one huge entity, but in reality it is a very small community which I found out about a week into basic training at Fort Jackson, SC. My dad was in the Army and he retired about two months before I went off to basic training (don't worry this is part of the story). I found out my dad and one of my drill sergeants knew each other. I found this out when I, with a bunch of other girls, were in a hair salon getting our hair cut. Like I said this is about a week into basic training. I just happened to be talking with my drill sergeant and found out she was stationed in Worms, Germany. I asked when she was stationed there and then mentioned my dad had been stationed there. Lo and behold she knew my dad. Now tell me, what are the odds that my drill sergeant would know my dad. I will try and think of more and interesting stories, but for some reason that story just popped into my head last night and I couldn't shake it. I am going to have to look for my journal I wrote in during basic. I am sure there are interesting things in there. Oh, I am also a weird person because I actually had a blast during basic training (though I hated running and push ups!).

This weekend mom and I were pretty busy. Here is some eye candy of what we created.
Tree Bead Bracelet
Adobe Earrings
Black/White Necklace













Butterfly Necklace
Cupcake By Beads by Laura
Small beads by Laura













Acid Etch Purple/Gray
Tan/White Earrings
Owl by Earthenwood Studios

















While I was enameling on Sunday mom was a sawing machine. Here are three things she has cut out and now we just have to file/sand, form, and then enamel.
Bonsai Tree
Lotus Flower
Peace bowl






































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...