Thursday, March 5, 2009
Sometimes it is so frustrating making the cylinders. But at least Siggy sees that I am practicing and trying to get them made. I know mom says I am too critical about what they look like; but you know me, I am a perfectionist. I think I am close to 30 hours of practice. I have lost count of how many cylinders I have had to throw away because I ruined them while on the wheel, they were crooked, or the lip was over center.
You will be able to see the process of making the cylinders from the pictures mom took. You can see how much fun I am having getting dirty J The front of that black smock I am wearing is covered in dry clay. It is like being a kid again and playing in the mud puddle.
I do plan on taking vacation during spring break, and working in the ceramics studio in the morning. I am hoping to work in the metals studio in the afternoon. I want to try and make up some more pendants for the jewelry sale in April. Mom and I also ordered wire jewelry making books. I would like to learn how to make some of the bracelets and necklaces that are in the books. Mom wants to try the chain mail. The hope is one day to have our items completely handmade.
On Saturday the 21st of February, I worked on glazing my cups and textured cylinders. We have to put the glazes on, and then the cups and cylinders are fired. It took me over two hours to glaze three cups and two textured cylinders. I first had to get the bucket of glaze out and stir the glaze with a drill and use a stick to help mix up the glazes. I first had to put the glaze inside the cup and pour it out and then I had to put another color on the outside of the cup or cylinder. I had to wait for the glaze to dry, and then wipe off a ¼ inch of the glaze from the bottom so that when it is fired it won’t stick to the bottom of the kiln. I am still waiting for the cups and cylinders to be fired. Mom was still working with the burr cup on the lengths of wire, and knitting a hat.
On Sunday the 22nd of February I worked on putting my lidded box cylinder together. I had only planned on putting the box together. Well, I ended up constructing the whole box. That took me over three hours to work on. Unfortunately, I didn’t take pictures of the construction process. I do have pictures of the box cylinder before I fired it. After constructing the box, I had two and a half extra slabs left over. I kept those slabs in case my box fell apart when fired, and I had to make a new box. I wanted the slabs ready so I didn’t have to wait for the drying out of the clay to make a new box. But since the cylinder was fired on the 2nd of March, and the box didn’t collapse, I can finally get rid of those slabs. Yeah!!!! Mom was still knitting.